Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I tell if my husband has autism/aspergers or if it's a mood disorder?

    He is always angry and upset, doesn't stop talking once he's started on a favourite topic, has big mood swings and mostly doesn't like look me in the eye when he has a conversation. Could he be autistic? Other members of his family are similar. What other problem could it be? Could it be something else like bipolar or another condition?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    I am a psychologist in private practice.I also lecture and supervise psychologists/psychology students at University.I work with clients who suffer from depression and anxiety. I … View Profile

    You are right in thinking that your husband's problem can be another disorder. However, you have described symptoms that are often associated with Aspergers. There could be an interpersonal or work related problem that is upsetting him. He could also have a physical health problem. It is difficult to diagnose your husband's problem without seeing him directly. I think it would be best if your husband saw his doctor and discussed his symptoms. If the doctor thinks it is appropriate, he can then refer your husband to a psychologist. You may also consider going to see the doctor or psychologist as a couple, as there may also be some relationship issues that need to be discussed. I hope this has been helpful to you. I am sorry I can not give you  a definite answer, or some kind of formula to follow via the internet.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices