Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Should I see a doctor or a dietician if I have a gluten intolerance?

    I have constant bowel issues with yellow stool. I am not sure if it is gluten or diary. I have always had stomach issues such as bloating and discomfort.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Glenda Bishop


    Glenda Bishop is a Registered Nutritionist, wellness coach, neuroscientist and educator, who specialises in irritable bowel syndrome and food intolerances. She uses her insider experience … View Profile

    If you suspect a food intolerance because of bowel issues, you should first see your doctor to make sure that there aren't any other things going on. That's because the symptoms of food intolerance are also symptoms of other conditions that could need a different type of treatment. Your doctor will examine you and may order additional tests based on your current symptoms. It's also important to make sure that you have a test for coeliac disease to determine whether gluten is an issue for you. After your doctor has done these tests, they can recommend whether further nutritional guidance is necessary.

  • 2


    Chris Fonda

    Dietitian, Nutritionist, Sports Dietitian

    As an Accredited Sports Dietitian, APD and athlete (springboard diver), Chris has both professional and personal experience in sport at the sub-elite and elite level.Chris … View Profile

    Yellow stools that are oily can be a sign of fat malabsorption. This could be due to a number of factors so I would suggest you visit your GP or doctor for further investigations. I would strongly suggest this prior to eliminating food groups such as those containing gluten or dairy foods as your bowel symptoms might be secondary to something else going on. All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices