Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Where can I be tested for fungal allergies?

    I have been diagnosed with fungal sinusitis and I need to be tested for fungal allergies.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Dr Alexander Lozynsky

    Allergy Specialist & Immunologist

    Consultant allergist and immunologist, with particular interest in allergic rhinitis and sinusitis, allergic respiratory disorders, food allergies and sensitivity and allergic skin conditions, including atopic … View Profile

    Fungal sinusitis is usually caused by a strain of fungus called Aspergillus. The presence of a specific antibody to this can be measured by an immunologic blood test. Aspergillus, like other fungi or molds, can also induce an allergic reaction via a specific IgE-mediated antibody. This can be measured by a blood test and also detected by skin testing that an allergist/immunologist can perform. 

    Fungal infection of the sinuses often results from chronic allergic rhinitis that has not been adequately treated, resulting in poor drainage and mucus impaction of the paranasal sinuses that normally are air-filled cavities in the skull. In most cases surgery is required, followed by appropriate medical treatment. Fungal infection may be implicated in patients with chronic or recurrent nasal polyps. Therefore, it is important for this condition to be fully assessed by an allergy/immunology specialist and an ENT surgeon when surgery is required. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices