Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Why is my endemetroiosis causing pain in my upper back and thighs?

    I am a 27 year old female with extensive endometriosis and adhesions involving bowel and ovaries.

    During my period (and in episodes of break through bleeding), I always get bad pain in my upper back (as well as in my lower back), together with a sort of stretching/pulling feeling in my thighs.

    Is it possible I have endometriosis growth in my upper back/thighs? I have a mirena in and have just stopped back to back pill to start a six month course of zoladex before an operative laparoscopy.

    Should I raise this with my specialist?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Women's Health Queensland Wide provides free health information for Queensland women. View Profile

    Symptoms of endometriosis vary from person to person. Some women have no symptoms at all.
    The most common symptoms include:
    • painful or heavy periods
    • pain in the lower abdomen (tummy), pelvis or lower back
    • pain during sexual intercourse
    • bleeding between periods
    • fertility problems
    The experience of pain varies between women. Most women with endometriosis get pain in the area between their hips and the tops of their legs. Some women have this all the time, while others only have pain during their periods, when they have sex or when they go to the toilet.
    Other symptoms may include:
    • discomfort when urinating
    • bleeding from your back passage (rectum)
    • bowel blockage (if the endometriosis tissue is in the intestines)
    • coughing blood (if the endometriosis tissue is in the lung)
    How severe the symptoms are depends largely on where in your body the endometriosis is, rather than the amount of endometriosis you have. A small amount of tissue can be as painful as, or more painful than, a large amount. If you have endometrial plugs and scar tissue it is possible that the pain you describe is referred pain. it is useful for your treating specialist to have knowledge of all your symptoms and I would advise  him/her of your concerns.
    Women’s Health Educator
    Health Information Line, Women’s Health Queensland Wide

    Women living in Queensland can also call our Health Information Line - a free information and referral service for Queensland women - on 3839 9988 or 1800 017 676 (toll free outside Brisbane).

    Please note that all health information provided by Women’s Health Queensland Wide is subject to this disclaimer

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices