Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can you drive after a brain injury

    My partner had a brain injury a few years ago - he was in a car accident over two years ago and hasn’t driven since - is there a road test to help decide this?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Kathy Pritchard

    Occupational Therapist (OT)

    I have 20 years experience as an Occupational Therapist with 10 years as an OT driving assessor for people with medical conditions. I have a … View Profile

    If you are in NSW there are medical standards released by Austroads that give all the recommendations about driving after illness or injury. In NSW it is YOUR responsibility as a driver to notify the RMS (RTA) should you have a medical condition that may affect driving. You should seek a medical clearance from a specilaist or your GP before return to driving , otherwise you may find your insurance does not cover you should you have an accident and you could also face charges. An occupational therapist can do an off and on road assessment with you to check your driving ability, recommend vehicle modifications and lessons to facilitate a return to driving, they can also restrict your licence ie in terms of distance driven etc depending on your performance in the assessment. The OT's role is to work with you to ensure you are safe to drive however if you are not meeting the standards for safe driving then your licence could be cancelled.

  • Brad Williams

    Occupational Therapist (OT)

    Williams Occupational Therapy has occupational therapists trained in driver assessments and rehab specialising in getting clients back on road safely. WILLIAMS OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY offer Adelaide … View Profile

    In South Australia, the medical standards are very similar. We too run by Austroads recommendations. These can be found online if you put Austroads into a search engine. In this case, it would appear that an Occupational Therpay assessment  is required if the medical condition is stable and meets the Austroads criteria.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices