Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

Get information from qualified health professionals on the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Why I am not recovering from the achillies tendon tear?

    I was diagnosed with a intrasubstance tear measuring 18x6 with in my Achilles and a medial gastrocnemius muscle tear 34x9. I was in plaster for a week then it was removed I was then told to resume normal activities and not to use crutches. I had 2 1/2 weeks off work now I am back and in tremendous pain. Unfortunately I have to wait another 2 weeks to see a physio through the hospital. I don't know if what I have been told is right and I am afraid if re-tearing it. Can someone please give me some advice?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Brian Lee


    I graduated from the University of Melbourne in 2004 and have worked in various healthcare settings, including primary care, private practice and community health services, … View Profile

    It's bit unusual for someone to advise such quick return to activities, when you consider muscle takes around 6 weeks to heal, and additional time and treatment required to bring the state of muscle back to normal function. I would suggest minimum activities for now and use of crutches so that minimum pain is perceived when you walk. You will need to be re-assessed to determine what's the cause of this pain, could be nothing major or something sinister, ie like further damage to muscle as you suggested.

  • Dr Andrew Knox

    Podiatric Surgeon, Podiatrist (General)

    Dr. Andrew Knox is one of the most-highly qualified foot specialists in Australia, holding both a Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine and a Doctorate of Clinical … View Profile

    Judging by the dimensions you have given they are quite substantial tears you have sustained. It would be best to remain non-weightbearing for the timebeing (e.g. crutches) and seek out further input from a local specialist. Depending on the location of the tear(s) you may need a prolonged period of immobilisation or even surgery. Oral anti-inflammatory tablets may help to assist with any acute pain, but be sure to check with your GP and/or pharmacist prior to taking any medications. Kind regards

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices