Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I get my chronic pain assessed?

    I have bulging discs, fibromyalgia and hypermobility joint syndrome, si joint degeneration, my mobility is getting worse, as well as the pain, as has gotten worse of the last 15 years, how can I get my joints re scanned to see how much has degraded of the last 15 years, I follow all the usual exercise diet and physio regime but would like to to be rescanned as my condition has significantly worsened in the last 6 months.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Andrew is a bayside local who has been working in the area since gaining his Masters in Osteopathy from Victoria University, Melbourne. He has always ... View Profile

    Chronic pain is a complicated warning signal from the brain created in response to a threat or potential threat of damage to the body. Interestingly it actually has a poor link with what the anatomy actually looks like or if there is damage to the tissues. That's why some amputees can experience phantom limb pain and some people can experience terrible wounds in battle and not realise. Often there is a big context element to what we feel and experience. 

    If you were to get a scan there is no doubt things will of degraded in that time. That is perfectly natural and often people who are completely asymptomatic will have signs of disc degeneration and joint wear and tear. 

    It sounds like your management routine would be better off being updated for your current condition as things have significantly worsened and it would be worth while seeing another manual therapy practitioner who has experience with chronic pain.

  • Michelle O'Sullivan

    Occupational Therapist (OT)

    My expertise lies in the management of hypermobility, chronic and rheumatological conditions such as rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. Having graduated from the University of Sydney in ... View Profile

    If you haven’t had scans in the last 15 years it would be worthwhile getting updated scans. A lot can change in a body that is hypermobile and with a history of bulging discs. 

    I would recommend seeing a Rheumatologist for scan referrals and an update of your pain management, including exercise and physical therapy routines. A consultation with an occupational therapist could help you manage your day to day activities in ways which are less painful and help to protect your joints. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions