Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Do I have a problem with depression and anxiety?

    What are the symptoms of depression and anxiety? I feel that I can not get a grip on things. I panic inside when I talk to people, I think that when I do talk i am being judged. I doubt my abilities, put myself down think that everything is a problem. My family say I'm different not the happy guy I used to be . I have not told my wife as I have lived with this for over a year now. and today I finally realise I have a problem
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Jeremy Barbouttis

    Counsellor, Hypnotherapist, Psychotherapist, Sex Therapist

    Jeremy is an expert in Hypnotherapy, Psychotherapy, Sex Therapy, Relationships & Addictions. Jeremy is a Clinical Supervisor with the Australian Hypnotherapists Association.Specialisations: Stop Smoking Hypnosis, … View Profile

    It really sounds like you haven't been feeling yourself for quite a while now, as those symptoms you describe are related to anxiety and depression. However, they are very treatable. I would suggest you seek out a counsellor/therapist. I would even say that Hypnotherapy would be something you could really benefit from. There are lots of options, but the key thing to know is that you can feel better and more confident in yourself. I think you might be surprised at how much better you can feel quite quickly with the right help.

    You are not alone with these symptoms, as they are very common.

  • 2




    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I think that you should feel proud of yourself for realising that you have a problem - that is the first and hardest step.

    As well as Jeremy's suggestions, you could ask your GP to refer you to a clinical psychologist who has experience of using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and/or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with his/her clients.

    Both CBT and ACT helped me to recover from my clinical depression.

    All the best.

  • 1


    Renee Mill

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    Empowering people is my passion and life work. I have been working as a Clinical Psychologist in private practice for over thirty years. I have … View Profile

    Hello. Most of your symptoms relate to anxiety including feeling panicky, being indecisive and doubting yourself. Being down on yourself may be depression or it may be a result of the anxiety. Depression and anxiety can co-exist. I think you will gain a great deal if you receive a proper diagnosis and the appropriate treatment. Telling your wife and gaining her support will also help you.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices