Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do I get past this depression?

    been depressed for a few years isnt getting better, i want soloutions. how to get past it all?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Dr Jeremy Adams


    Dr. Jeremy Adams has a multidimensional background that includes a Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise psychology, a clinical postdoctoral fellowship in Chemical Dependency, and a … View Profile

    There's no easy answer to your question - and without knowing more about your life, and the issues you're facing, it'd be premature to offer any advice. Nevertheless, there are a few things that might help.

    First, it's important to know that depression is eminently treatable, but it doesn't tend to go away by itself. If you've been waiting for it to get better by itself, you'll probably continue to wait. Unfortunately, the things that exacerbate depression are all the things that tend to happen when you're depressed, such as reduced social contact, isolation, and rumination. So, if you haven't already, please go to your GP and ask him or her for a referral to a registered psychologist who works either in ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) or CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) - these two treatment approaches have the most evidence behind them regarding their effectiveness which, by the way, is high.

    Second, it's also important to understand that you're not at fault, and that depression affects many people - it might feel like you're the only one in the world going through this unpleasant time, but you're certainly not alone.

  • Bruce Jenkins

    Psychologist, Psychotherapist

    ABOUT BRUCE Registered psychologist since 1991 Broadly Humanistic approach with special interest in Person Centred therapy Over sixteen years experience as a supervisor Taught Counselling … View Profile

    It can be very confronting to admit there's a problem. You have done that - it's a good start.

    Often a first port of call can be an understanding GP who can talk to you about what is going on in the context of your health and life in general. Perhaps your GP might suggest counselling.

    Counselling is a process of talking and listening that if often helpful when people feel stuck or unhappy in their lives. If you are isolated, talking to a qualified and registered psychologist/counsellor can be a useful action.

    Remember, it is vital to find a good fit with a counsellor. Ring and speak to the person and find out a little about how they work.  

    Good luck.

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I agree with what Dr Adams wrote about ACT and CBT.

    Both, provided by my clinical psychologist, helped me to recover from Major Depressive Disorder.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices