Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who can I see to fix a problem foot?

    Feels like I’ve stepped on a stone with bare feet, Caused by cycling. Some call it ‘hotfoot’ except it has persisted, Ultrasound & x-rays have come up okay,( Right 2nd MTP joint inflamed- plantar plate is intact- no flexor tendon pathology demonstrated nor evidence of Morton’s’ neuroma or bursitis) The podiatrist hasn't helped. I have an ironman event in 9 weeks Help!
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Being such a common & debilitating problem, headaches are something that Katie really enjoys treating because it makes such a difference to the daily lives … View Profile

    Considering the examinations you have had that are negative, it sounds like you have “metatarsalgia”.  Osteopaths often treat this condition and I find it is commonly caused when someone has been on a ladder in bare feet doing house reno, or women wearing hard shoes.  Your cycling casue could be that you are placing a lot of pressure through the ball of your foot in your clips, therefore inflaming the 2nd MTP.  It is the most common place for metatarsalgia.  We usually mobilise the MTP joints as well as the rest of the foot, and correct the musculature in the area and it generally resolves this way.  Find someone local that is savvy with this type of approach and it could resolve rather quickly.  It may help to add some cushioning into your cycling shoes such as a gel insole. 

  • Geoffrey

    HealthShare Member

    Thank you Katie,
    The pain is a little more bearable now, but I will follow up on your advice re an Osteopath .I will search for one in Bendigo…thanks again

  • 3


    Dr Ryan Hislop


    Dr Ryan Hislop, Chiropractor is situated in Mudgee with the team from Chiropractic Health and Wellness Centre. He has a special interest in sports chiropractic … View Profile

    I concur with Dr Wikky. 

    It would be well worth your while seeing a practitioner that can offer these modalities. 

  • 1


    Dr Adam Arnold

    Chiropractor, Hypnotherapist

    I specialize in working with the nervous system to ensure your body is working well. This includes but is not limited to musculoskeletal care. I … View Profile

    adding to above, you might also want to have your shoes and bike assessed.  sometimes changing foot position by moving your cleats can help as well.  

  • Geoffrey

    HealthShare Member

    Thanks Adam, That was one fo the first things I did- assessment.. new shoes and cleat position check up..There was a marginal difference
    cheers Geoffrey

  • Emma McDonough


    About:I have graduated from Newcastle University in 2011with a degree in physiotherapy. I have a keen interest in women’s and men’s health. I have attended … View Profile

    You can see a physiotherapist for a range of foot problems.

  • Dr Andrew Knox

    Podiatric Surgeon, Podiatrist (General)

    Dr. Andrew Knox is one of the most-highly qualified foot specialists in Australia, holding both a Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine and a Doctorate of Clinical … View Profile

    You should have an MRI performed if the diagnosis is still not clear. The sensitivity of an ultrasound for providing differential diagnosis of the conditions you have listed is quite sonographer-dependent. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices