Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can I self refer to an exercise physiologist or does it have to go through Drs referral?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    Timothy Douge

    Exercise Physiologist, Pilates Instructor

    I am a Level 1 Pilates Instructor and an Accredited Exercise Physiologist specialising in chronic disease and lifestyle management. I have experience in managing Diabetes, … View Profile

    Most Exercise Physiologists do take bookings directly from the general public however in this case you it is the individual who will have to cover the bill (you may be able to use your private health insurance depending on your level of cover).
    If you have a referral from a GP as part of an Enhanced Primary Care plan (EPC) or Team Care Arrangement (TCA), you will be able to claim a rebate from medicare of $52.95 for individual services. You do need to fit certain elegibility requirements for these types of referrals so it is best to ask your GP first if you are elegible or you may need to request an extended appointment so your GP can go through the appropriate assesements.
    You can find out more information at which is the national governing body for Exercise Physiologists. 

  • 1


    John Clark

    Exercise Physiologist

    I am the Practice Principal Of Q Rehab, An Exercise Physiology clinic located in Southport QLd.We have 6 Exercise Physiologists working in a variety of … View Profile

    Yes, if you are funding the consultation, of course you can self refer to an exercise physiologist! A Dr will only govern a referral that is funded by governement organisations and NGO's such as Medicare, DVA, Workcover and Insurance companies. These referrals will generally be indicated by a chronic condition or workplace injury that requires management and funding by the specific entities.    

  • 1




    Dr Ryan Hislop


    Ryan Hislop is the Clinical Director at the Mudgee Chiropractic Health and Wellness Centre. As an experienced and evidence-based diagnostician, Ryan works largely by medical … View Profile

    The short answer is yes :)

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices