Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Should I see a skin or ear doctor to treat surface and inner ear infection?

    Since a year I am experiencing bouts of extreme itchiness in my ear, followed by the flaking of dead skin. I have also had several ear infections in that time. I am now beginning to suffer vertigo- which type of doctor should I consult? It is not affecting my hearing so should it be a skin Specialist?
    And any idea of what is might be? 4 different doctors have given me 4 different explanations and none of their treatments had any long term effect.

    Thankyou for your time,
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Prof Rodney Sinclair

    Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

    Professor Sinclair is a Professor of Dermatology at the University of Melbourne and Director of Sinclair Dermatology. He is past-president of the Australasian Society for … View Profile

    For infections and vertigo, you should see an ENT surgeon.  For itch within the ear canal, a dermatologists would be helpful.

    Rod SInclair
    Professor of Dermatology
    Epworth Healthcare

  • 1


    Dr David McIntosh

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    David McIntosh is an Australian trained ENT surgeon with international experience. His areas of interest are paediatrics, nose and sinus disease, and providing access to … View Profile

    I agree that you may need to see a specialist and possibly more than one in their respective fields and an ENT and dermatologist are just the specialists you should be considering. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices