Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Where can I find support for managing dyslexia?

    Are there any groups or educational programs designed to help children with dyslexia?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Vivien Suttner


    Vivien Suttner is a skilled therapist with many years experience helping both children and adults to maximise their potential. She has a particular interest in … View Profile

    It is important to first obtain a comprehensive assessment of your child, to clarify that they do indeed have dyslexia. Therre is some confusion about the term 'dyslexia“ in Australia, as it is a term mostly used in Britain. In Australia, is is more likely to be referred to as ”a specific learning disability“, or a ”disorder or written expression" or of reading (according to the DSM IV TR criteria). A psychologist who is trained to assess for dyslexia should conduct the assessment, which should include both cognitive and an educational tests, as well as some specific tests of reading, spelling, writing and word recognition. If your child is diagnosed with dyslexia it will be important for you to advocate for help for them at school. This help must be specifilaly targeted at their manifestation of the dissability.

    There is an organization called SPELD in Concord, which can refer you on to professionals trainid in helping children with dyslexia. They also have a library you can borrow from and they invite specialists to present workshops on different aspects of dyselixa from time to time.

  • Daniel Wendt


    Mr Daniel Wendt is the Principal Clinical Psychologist and Director of Oracle Psychology. Daniel is a Child and Adolescent Psychologist registered with the Psychology Board … View Profile

    In most instances the primary weakness in children with Dyslexia is phonological processing (difficulties in the way the brain processes speech sounds). A thorough assessment by a Child Psychologist experienced in the assessment of learning disorders is an important first step. They will need to investigate cognitive (IQ) abilities, academic achievement and neuropsychological processing to identify any underlying weaknesses. This will drive the direction of intervention/support/treatment. For example, if phonological processing weaknesses are identified treatment by a Speech Therapist is essential.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices