Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners


    I went to see a doctor about a pain that was causing me grief. Felt exactly like my appendix, but had them out in 1984. I have diverticulitis, celiac disease, IBS, Sarcoidosis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid arthritis and another allergy to food. After ultrasounds showed that all was clear, no further investigation was done, not even a blood test. I believe that my pain is from far up diverticulitis as my symptoms match up. Pain starts on the right side, then my stomach then goes around to my back right side. I have nausea and feel sick after eating and drinking.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Jason Wong

    Bariatric (Obesity) Surgeon, General Surgeon, Laparoscopic Surgeon, Upper GI Surgeon (Abdominal)

    Jason Wong is a skilled Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon with expertise in sleeve and gastric bypass surgery, gallbladder, hernia, endoscopic pilonidal, antireflux and emergency general … View Profile

    Sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time with your pain and have many medical problems that may all be contributing in some way to what is going on.

    Diagnosis of Diverticulitis is best made on CT scan of the abdomen which would show signs of inflammation around the portion of colon containing the diverticulum/ diverticulae that are inflamed.  This is usually (but not always) also reflected in blood tests where the White Blood Cell and Neutrophil count may be elevated, along with the C-Reactive Protein or CRP.  Symptoms would also match, with focal or regional abdominal wall tenderness corresponding to peritoneal inflammation and irritation overlying the inflamed bowel.  So based on your description, it does not sound very much like diverticulitis to me.

    If your pain is radiating around and going into your back, it may be related to other conditions you may have or something else such as gallbladder or kidney stones?

    There is also a chance that the pain may be related to your Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis or functional gastrointestinal disorder.  If the problem remains ongoing, you may wish to see your GP again and even maybe ask for a referral to a specialist for an opinion.  Or if the pain is severe, referral to an Emergency Department for further assessment.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices