Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is surgery for my 4 year old necessary and is there a conservative Tx

    1 yr ago my 4 y.o had 3 small on his inner right thigh. Over the space of 3/12 it has become a 3cm obscure shaped, slightly raised lump with no real change at the end of the 3/12. The area is slightly firmer on palpation than the surrounding skin though no pain is reported during palpation. An orthopaedic surgeon suggested we perform surgery in case of cancer and reassured us that there are no major blood vessels in the area. (I guess the great saphenous vein is not that major)? He also said he is quit positive it is just a haemolymphoma and may return following surgery. My Questions: Is there a less invasive way of finding out if its cancerous? And is there any conservative treatments for haemolymphoma? I have currently been applying a compression stocking during the day with no treatment during sleep for the past 2 months. I have been performing a soft lymph drainage type massage sporadically and we have seen no increase or decrease in the area of concern since starting Tx.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Dr Simon Zilko

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Dr Simon Zilko - Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr Simon Zilko is a locally and internationally trained consultant orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in all … View Profile

    Like with all medical issues, the correct diagnosis never impedes management - and so far we don't know what your son's diagnosis is. It sounds like he hasn't been appropriately worked up. The work-up for a musculoskeletal soft tissue lesion should include plain xrays (of the thigh in your son's case) and an MRI scan, and depending on what the MRI looks like, a biopsy may then be the next step.

    See your GP for a referral to a musculoskeletal oncology orthopaedic surgeon, who will be very familiar with how to safely and properly investigate your son in order to make a diagnosis and plan any treatment.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices