Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who's the best surgeon for an ankle reconstruction?

    Had a reconstruction on R ankle in 1990 after many sprains from a cross country running career. Ankle has been perfect ever since. L ankle was only slightly less prone to spraining, but is now being sprained regularly. I am still an active runner and sportsperson and want a L ankle reconstruction - who's the best surgeon for this surgery?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Simon Zilko

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Dr Simon Zilko - Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr Simon Zilko is a locally and internationally trained consultant orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in all … View Profile

    Thanks for your question. It sounds like you've got chronic instability from anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) and calcaneofibular ligament (CFL) damage - these form 2 of the 3 major ligaments of the lateral ligament complex in the ankle.

    Any fellowship-trained foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon should be able to assist you with this problem, which generally does very well with a ligament repair operation (the Brostrom-Gould procedure). I practice in Perth and regularly treat sportspeople with ankle instability, but can suggest other orthopods in other states if you need a recommendation.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices