A fantastic question and issue that many people face when trying to lose weight. The techniques I use to motivate clients include:
1. Set a goal. If you are currently attending once per week, aim to attend 2 next week, then build that to 3-4 and so on. Give yourself a reward if you achieve your goal at the end of a month (treat yourself to a film at the cinemas, or something that is meaningful for you). This way you have some other motivation to attend.
2. Set an appointment with yourself. If you set a doctors appointment or an important work meeting you wouldn't miss it. So set an appointment with yourself at the gym, and don't miss it.
3. Get your exercise gear ready the night before. Set out your exercise clothes the night before and ensure you exercise the next day. If you struggle for motivation at the end of the day, exercise in the morning. That way, it is done for the day.
4. Break it up throughout the day. Do 15 minutes in the morning, 15 at lunch, and 15 in the afternoon. It's easier to find 15 minutes at a time than 45 minutes. Go for a short walk, do some squats or pushups or lunges a few times a day.
5. If you are really struggling for motivation on a day, then put on your exercise clothes, go to the gym, and if you really still don't feel like exercising, then go home. Almost all of the time, you will actually work out as you have made all the effor to get there.
Report this post
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post.
to your account or
now (it's free).