Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can I get myself institutionalized?

    I am suffering from a deep, deep depression that won't go away. I am currently on medication, but it has not helped. I simply cannot cope anymore and feel totally overwhelmed. Would it be possible to be placed into an institution?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 7


    Francis Lynch

    Counsellor, Social Worker

    I am an experienced Counsellor, Coach and Social Worker, having worked in the human services industry for over 25 years. I have significant experience in … View Profile

    Experiencing deep depression can be very overwhelming. Medication on its own may not be enough to shift your experience of depression. It sounds as though you need more support which may include some counselling or therapy. Its possible to get this support whilst your living in the community. I suggest that you discuss this with your GP and get a referral to a suitable person. If you have already been using counselling and still feel as you do then I suggest discussing this with your counsellor or GP and whether getting help in a residential facility would be helpful. 

    It is possible to voluntarily ask for residential treatment. The facility will make an assessment as to whether they can provide the right support for you. If you have private health insurance you may have more options for residential care available to you. In a residential facility you will most likely be offered individual and group counselling or therapy options to help you recover.

  • 1


    Peter B

    HealthShare Member

    Thanks for your response.

    I was seeing a counsellor, but i found that this did not help me at all.

    I then went to see a psychologist which i also found useless.

    I am currently seeing a psychiatrist. All he seems to do is prescribe me with anti depressants. I have asked him about being sent to a care facility, however he recomended that i not go as he believes it would not be helpful and could make my depression worse

    I dont have private heath insureance, but i simply cannot cope in society. I feel that i need to be heavily sedated for an extended period of time and I feel i need to get away from all humans and be shut off from the rest of the world.

    I feel nothing but despair

  • 2


    Marinh Thach


    Hi Peter,

    So sorry to hear that you are going through so much. Depression is usually influenced by a variety of factors and treatment usually is a combination of both therapy, self-practice and sometimes medications.

  • 1




    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    Peter, I am sorry to read that you are struggling with depression.

    Sometimes matching the "right" anti-depressant to the "right" person is a matter of trial and error (that was my experience). If what you have been prescribed is not helping you then discussing another option with your psychiatrist is a good plan.

    As Francis has written, often a combination of medication and non-pharmaceutical approaches is more effective than either is in isolation. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is often very helpful for people with mood disorders like depression.

    Your GP should be able to refer you to a clinical psychologist who has experience of using CBT approaches with his/her clients.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices