Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I deal with a person with OCPD?

    I believe my partner has OCPD, and I would like some relationship techniques to calm him down so he does not get to angry and also persuade him to seek help as I fear that his behaviour is only going to escalate further into an aggressive and perhaps violent behaviour.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Dr Pek Ang


    Specialist Psychiatrist - management of Depression and Anxiety Disorders, PTSD, Bipolar, ADHD, Autism, Mood and Anger problems and Personality Disorders. Management of Psychological problems associated … View Profile


    I presume you are referring to Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder?  If so this is a personality style which has been there since quite young and is consistent.  If there is a worsening of symptoms, it is usually when things are out of their control or there is a secondary reason like developing anxiety or depression etc.

    Analysing what events or situations trigger a response can give you some insight into if routines and ways things are done can be more reliably managed.

    Otherwise what you are witnessing is the manisfestation of anger/ perhaps talking first to your GP would be the first step.

  • 3


    I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    Great advice from Dr Ang giving the very important psychiatry perspective! From a relational perspective, I would encourage you to talk to your partner about the impact his behaviour is having on you, rather than taking on the responsibility of managing it for him. If he does not choose to go and seek help, this is up to him, but you may need to make it clear to him that this has implications for you, and to let him know that you need him to change his behaviour. Relationship counselling may provide a supportive space for you to communicate this to him, and to allow you both to discuss problems from both of your perspectives that may need to be managed differently - i.e. not speaking or acting in a way that causes the other to feel intimidated or frightened.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices