Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What should I do about my ongoing problem with constipation?

    Related Topic
    I am a healthy 25 year old girl who is suffering for constipation. It has been going on for years now. I go to the bathroom maybe twice a week and when I do it is hard and unsatisfying. I get bubbles in my stomach and pass a lot of gas. I’m constantly uncomfortable and sometimes it’s painful. I get bloated after even small meals and I look like I have a pregnant stomach. I eat a very healthy vegan diet of raw fruits and veggies and eat a lot of fibrous foods like dates and apples and drink 3ltrs of water a day. I use benefibre, metamuscil, coloxyl, senna tea, ducolax and microlax for temporary relief but the problem is ongoing. I exercise 30 minute walks 5x per week. I have gotten colonics before and then used charcoal tablets and liquid chlorophyll for the bloating and gas. I do not want to take laxatives again but I need to get this problem sorted for good, who should I speak to?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    Shirley is an Accredited Practising Dietitian with 16 years clinical experience in large public hospital and in private practice. She has extensive specialised experience in … View Profile

    From what you have said in your email, there are plenty of fibre in your diet. If you are getting severe bloatedness even after a small meal, you may want to check with your doctor whether you have irritable bowel syndrome. For people with IBS, they eat seemingly very helpful but gets the bloatedness, constipation and/or diarrhoea. Unfortunately, there aren't any specific tests for IBS. Diagnosis is by history and examinations done by your GP. IBS, however, may be able to resolve by appropriate manipulation of carbohydrate in your diet. 

    I am a dietitian who has a personal interest in vegan nutrition and IBS. 

    Thank you. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices