Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Why would you see a physiotherpist if you suffer from incontinence?

    why do you need to see a physiotherapist if you suffer from both types of incontinence how can they help, and how do I overcome the embarrassment of seeing someone to help me.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 4


    Tim Cottman - Fields

    Exercise Physiologist, Physiotherapist

    Tim is considered a movement specialist - using exercise, education and hands on therapy as his main treatments, helping everyone achieve optimal function. His interests … View Profile


    This is not my area of expertise but I have seen a few individuals with both types of incontinence. I also hope a physio can respond to this answer for you. It is a sensitive, yet very common problem for many people including children, athletes and the elderly.
    The first point I will add - is you need to see a specialist physiotherapist. That is, someone who has specific training and only treats problems around the pelvis. Your run of the mill physio really isn’t going to be the best option.
    The simple answer to your question is to improve muscular strength and control. Your deep muscles of the pelvic floor and around your anus are like any other muscles – with exercise you can strengthen them and with teaching/ cueing you can control them. Your physio will educate you about the process of gaining control/ strength which in turn, will help to hold urges, prevent incontinence and improve your confidence.

    Your second question is a bit more tricky – I would speak to your GP if you haven’t already done so and also you can discuss matters or read stories from others with similar problems on forums like this one:

    Hope that helps

  • 2


    Josephine Perry

    Bowen Therapist

    Josephine is a fully qualified Bowen Therapist, with full insurance cover and Association membership. Rebates provided by most health funds, according to levels of cover.Practice … View Profile

    I agree with Tim about muscle strengthening exercises.  I have had considerable success at alleviating incontinence, but in the long term, muscle strength will resolve symptoms of a chronic condition.

  • 5


    I am a specialist sports physiotherapist with a sub-speciality in adolescents in sport (as awarded bu the Australian College of Physiotherapists in 2007). In addition … View Profile

    Hi there, I am a specialist sports physiotherapist, so continence is not my area of speciality.  As Tim said, you need to see a physiotherapist who works in this area, not your regular physiotherapist.  Continence physiotherapists have a number of ways they can help patients with continence and would do a detailed subjective and objective assessment to determine your diagnosis and contributing factors, before designing a treatment program that is best for you. This may include using exercises, but this is not the only way a continence physiotherapy may help you. In most cases, physiotherapy has a much better sucess rate compared with surgery and should be your first port of call before you consider surgery - there is good evidence supporting this now. Continence physiotherapists have specific training and equipment, that other physiotherapists do not and they usually have their clinics set up to be comfortable to their patients so as not to cause embarrassment.  Continence issues is actually very common in both men and women, in children, adolescents, adults and the elderly, not just post-partum women.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices