Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Should I be seeing a psychiatrist?

    I got prescribed anti-depressants (Pristiq) over a year ago by a doctor. They suggested a referral to a psychologist who did basic CBT. She clarified a few issues for me but everything she suggested (deep breathing, positive thinking, exercise etc) I had already figured out and started doing by myself so I stopped going to the appointments. On the rare occasion that I go back to the doctor, usually to get another prescription printed out, they'll ask me “So how are these drugs helping you?” And I say “yeah, generally good” and they say ok and print it out.
    I've never seen a psychiatrist and my doctor doesn't seem interested in trying to manage my medication or illness. Not to be racist or prejudice or anything, but I don't think they understand English particularly well.
    What should I do? See a different doctor? Go see a psychiatrist and pay for it myself? I'm living off my parents with no government benefits and trying to get a job but I really have no money to pay for it myself.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions