Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    My daughter has body isomorphic, social phobia and GAD. Help!

    Because of her severe anxiety, her cortisol levels remain high and her thoughts won't let her rest. Where do we seek help? She is almost unable to keep trying.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    I assume that your daughter is hanging in there with treatment, that even though she is almost unable to keep trying, somehow she is managing to keep attending appointments for now. This is a good thing, and probably all you can expect of her and yourselves for now! It's really hard to be around someone who is anxious without becoming anxious yourself, especially where that person is your own daughter who you care so much about. It may be important that you get support for yourself - counselling can provide a space where you can think about what you need for your own self-care as well as thinking about strategies that may help your daughter. 

  • Mitchell Howarth

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    Mr Mitchell Howarth is a passionate psychologist whose primary aim is to assist clients in addressing the psychological issues that are preventing them from living … View Profile

    Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has been shown to be effective in treating the conditions you described (i.e. Social Phobia, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and what I am assuming to be Body Dysmorphic Disorder). Consider finding someone in your area that practices CBT, and getting a 'mental health care plan' from your GP so that you are able to claim part of the practicioner's fee back from medicare. Help is available. Good luck.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices