Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Should I have my son seen by an ENT?

    My 3 year old son is a slow talker. Had his ears tested a year ago (beep test where they turn to the sound). He passed. We have also had speech therapy all year and have made very slow progress (he still only imitates words he already knows however, is starting to get better).

    He is also a mouth breather and snores a little bit. Not sure if it is sinus or adenoids affecting him if at all.

    Given all the above info should I have him looked at by an ENT specialist? Thanks
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Rachel Tosh

    Speech Pathologist

    Rachel is a speech pathologist specialising in speech, language, literacy and feeding therapy with more than 10 years of experience. Her aim is to help … View Profile

    I would recommend discussing your concerns with your GP and his speech therapist. It sounds as though a referral to an ENT may be useful but if he has passed his hearing test then it is possible that his slow progress in therapy is due to other factors. I would ask his speech therapist why he/she thinks your son is making slow progress and if there are any other things you should follow up such as an ENT referral.

  • 1


    Nikki Martin

    Speech Pathologist

    I have over 13 years experience in adult Speech Pathology and specialise in voice and swallowing problems/cancers of the face and throat. I work very … View Profile

    I think it would be beneficial to see an ENT based on the history you provided i.e. mouth breather, snoring, slow progress with speech therapy. An ENT will be able to assess your son and see if he has very large adenoids that are causing the snoring/mouth breathing or possibly sleep apnoea. His situation may have also changed in the past year regarding his hearing.

    Nikki Martin
    Speech Pathologist

  • 2


    Dr David McIntosh

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    David McIntosh is an Australian trained ENT surgeon with international experience. His areas of interest are paediatrics, nose and sinus disease, and providing access to … View Profile

    The mixture of symptoms you describe warrant an ENT review. 

  • Dr John Wood

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    Dr Wood is an Ear Nose and Throat surgeon with a special interest in Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology and Airway Surgery.In addition to general ENT, he has … View Profile

    This constellation of symptoms certainly warrants an ENT review.  

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices