Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Do urinary symptoms mean I have Endo on / in my bladder?

    I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis 6 months ago tho I have suspected it for many years. My urinary symptoms are worsening even after my laparoscopy 6 months ago in terms of pain with bladder filling (even a small amount of urine); frequency, day and night. Daytime go overly hour, night at least 2-3 times; pelvic pain sharp when urinating, difficult to pass urine (no burning or UTI); I also have similar bowel symptoms.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Angela Jackson

    Exercise Scientist

    I have qualifications as an Exercise Scientist, Herbalist and Health Coach, with over 10 years experience in the preventative health industry helping people to improve … View Profile

    Difficulty with urination and frequent urination can be signs of bladder endometriosis, especially if you know you don't have a UTI. Other signs can be pus or blood in the urine, painful intercourse or fatigue. Do you have any of those symptoms?

    Your Doctor may want to take some samples to be sure. Good luck!

  • 1


    Dr Joseph Jabbour

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    Dr Joseph Jabbour is a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and Fertility Specialist with Monash IVF situated in Sunnybank (Brisbane Southside). Dr Jabbour has had the … View Profile

    Hi there,

    There is a strong association between endometriosis and Bladder Pain Syndrome also known as Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Your symptoms suggest this syndrome. Endometriosis involving the bladder can cause burning or pain with urination and rarely bleeding in the urine coinciding with menses. Most of the endometriosis lesions on the bladder are asymptomatic though. Your symptoms of frequency, pelvic pain and difficulty passing urine suggest Interstitial cystitis. The more sinister possibility is bladder cancer which may present similarly. You would be at high risk if you are a smoker.

    You should see your GP and have a urine specimen sent off to rule out infection and bladder cancer. Performing a cystoscopy is advisable as well. This is a small scope that is inserted into your bladder to examine it. A Urodynamics study can be done as well to check your bladder function. Your gynaecologist or urogynaecologist can perform these tests for you.

    There are conservative measures that can be implemented to help with IC once infection and cancer are ruled out. Diet and avoidance of bladder irritants, physiotherapy and bladder training, coupled with oral medications would be the first line of therapy for this. There are several different types of treatment and sometimes it takes time to establish the best one. 

    Check in with your doctor firstly and they can start investigating.

    All the best.


  • 1


    Dr Arun offers specialised service in the following areas: Holistic approach in the management of Urinary Incontinence including Urodynamics for women Botox injections to bladder … View Profile

    I agree with this. It is more likely that you have both endometriosis and bladder pain syndrome. They are called evil twins of pelvic pain.

    It is better to have both laparoscopy and cystoscopy at the same time.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices