Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What should I do if I am injured at the workplace?

    Related Topic
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Shona Cassell

    Psychologist, Sport Psychologist

    Shona is the principle psychologist of Keeping U On Track and a local resident of the Sutherland Shire. Shona is a registered psychologist and has … View Profile

    You need to advise your employer of the injury. Depending on the severity of the injury the employer may need to report your injury to their insurer. The employer may also need to undertake an investigation as to how the injury occured in order to prevent similiar injuries occuring within the workplace. When discussing your injury with your employer ask them if they have an early intervention program. Many employers do and this program may assist with small medical cost reimbursement (outside of workers compensation). You should also seek medical treatment if the injury is severe enough. If you are wishing to clim workers compensation then you should speak to your employer and the human resource team about how to do this and what the process is. Again depending on the type of injury your emplyer may engage a rehabilitation provider to assist you to return to work.

  • Dr Ryan Hislop


    Ryan Hislop is the Clinical Director at the Mudgee Chiropractic Health and Wellness Centre. As an experienced and evidence-based diagnostician, Ryan works largely by medical … View Profile

    The following is from WorkCover NSW in relation to the initial injury notification.
    When a workplace injury occurs, the injury must be reported to the employer as soon as possible.

    The details must be entered in the injury register.

    Anyone can make initial notification of the injury to the Scheme Agent or insurer.

    The employer has a legal requirement to notify the Scheme Agent or insurer within 48 hours of the injury being notified. Employers may avoid paying a claims excess if there is an injury by notifying their Scheme Agent or insurer within the required timeframes.

    The initial notification can be made in a number of ways, electronically, in writing or by phone.  Once notified, the Scheme Agent or insurer will give the notifier a notification number, this number will be used to track the notification.

    When notifying an injury, the following information needs to be provided:

    1. worker’s information – their name, residential address, contact details and date of birth
    2. employer’s information – the business name, current business address and employer contact
    3. treating Doctor information – the name of the doctor or hospital where the injured worker is being treated
    4. injury or illness details – the date of the injury, description of how it happened and a description of the injury itself
    5. notifier information – the name of person making the notification, relationship to injured worker and contact details
    6. supporting information – anything else the notifier considers necessary.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices