Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do I treat joint pain associated with Crohn's disease?

    My joints ache tremendously with my flare ups… what is the best treatment?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    Dr Simon Benstock


    Dr Simon Benstock completed his advanced training in Gastroenterology at Prince of Wales and St Vincent’s hospitals in Sydney. His major interests are colon cancer … View Profile

    It is difficult to say what the best treatment is. It is true that often Crohn's disease is associated with joint pains and often treating gastroenterologists will work with treating rheumatologists and they will both have an input into the patient's symptoms. Usually, you would start with simple analgesics. As gastroenterologists, we try to avoid patients using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs because they can worsen the inflammation in the bowel. I would definitely suggest that you consult a rheumatologist, so that both your gastroenterologist and rheumatologist can input suggestions in pain management and treatment.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices