Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Where can teenagers find support on exploring their sexual identity?

    Our son who is 17 years old recently told us that he is gay. He has not told any of his friends yet, however. We are very grateful as parents that he felt comfortable to share this with us. Where can we help him find additional support? We want him to feel very supported and unafraid.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Leanne Hall

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    Integrative Psychologist, Health Coach & Personal Trainer in private practice. I have expertise in assessing and treating a range of disorders and conditions; depression, anxiety, … View Profile

    Good on you! Your son is very lucky to have such supportive parents. There is a Goverment Funded  service called Twenty10 offering loads of resources and support for young people and their families. Have a look at their website…..

  • I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    I agree with Leanne - your son is very lucky to have your support! The website she's recommended is terrific!

    I would also suggest, if your son doesn't find anything local to where you live on that website, that you take a look at what your local community health centre or council family and youth services offer - many now offer leisure and support groups specifically for same-sex attracted young people.

  • Hello, I’m Jacqueline Hellyer, Sex Therapist and Relationship Coach. I’ve spent thousands of hours working with individuals and couples around sex and relationships. I’ve been … View Profile

    A wonderful website for teeneagers of all sexual orientations is Scarleteen:

  • Grace Gonzalez

    Counsellor, Psychotherapist

    I am a counsellor with over two decades of experience working with non-for-profit organisations, private organizations, secondary education, community health services, and private practice in … View Profile

    Depending on where you live and what type of support your son is in need of, access to different youth services will vary. I would suggest to call your local council as they have a register for all youth services available in your area. Once  you call the council ask to speak to the Youth and family services department. Each council has a department dedicated to family and youth.

    Good luck

  • Colin Longworth


    Is a Cisgender Generalist Psychologist, who is able to provide counselling services under Medicare (with a GP referral) as well as Telehealth and Clinical Hypnotherapy, … View Profile

    Another option is to phone or do a webchat online with the peer based Q-Life service ( phone 1800 184 527 3pm to Midnight every night) they are a national service, that can potentially assist you with places to go, or organisations to contact.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices