Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What are common foods with fructose that I should avoid?

    So many foods have fructose… What are some of the common ones I should keep in mind that I must avoid?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    Joy Anderson

    Dietitian, Nutritionist

    Joy is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Accredited Nutritionist, as well as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). She has a special interest in … View Profile

    The foods that contain excess fructose include apples, pears, cherries, mangos, nashi pears, watermelon, asparagus, artichokes, sugar snap peas and four-bean mix. Also any products made with high-fructose corn syrup, and honey. Concentrated fruit sources are also problematic for fructose intolerant people, such as large serves of fruit, dried fruit, fruit juice and wine.

    If you reduce all these and are still having symptoms of IBS, you may be sensitive to other FODMAPs (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharies and Polyols). See a dietitian for more information about reducing these and testing for which you might be having problems with.

  • 1


    Jaci Barrett is an accredited practising dietitian and one of the leading Monash University researchers involved in the development of the Low FODMAP Diet for … View Profile

    High fructose foods have been listed by Joy. I have never seen a patient with IBS symptoms who benefited from restriction of fructose alone. All FODMAPs need to be considered in each individual not just fructose. Fructans and galacto-oligosaccharides are poorly absorbed in everyone, so they will contribute to gas and motility changes in all with IBS. It is important that we do not rely solely on fructose for symptom control.

  • 1


    At figureate, accredited practising dietitians Zoe Nicholson and Marlene Gojanovic will help you get off the dieting merry-go-round and show you how to change your … View Profile

    I agree with both responses above. If you haven't seen an accredited practising dietitian, then I strongly suggest you do so. Food intolerance is very individual and an experienced dietitian can help you identify which particular foods or food components are problematic for you and how much of these you may be able to tolerate. Food intolerance is usually more about moderation than complete restriction and if particular foods do give you symptoms, you may not need to avoid these foods completely. Given many of the high fructose foods are healthy foods, this is extra reason for not restricting them unnecessarily. 

  • 2


    Chris Fonda

    Dietitian, Nutritionist, Sports Dietitian

    As an Accredited Sports Dietitian, APD and athlete (springboard diver), Chris has both professional and personal experience in sport at the sub-elite and elite level.Chris … View Profile

    I agree with Zoe above. It's important that you seek expert advice from an Accredited Practising Dietitian who is experienced in food intolerances and/or IBS. Many people tend to self diagnose themselves or recieve advice from unqualified health professionals on this topic and tend to miss out on very important nutrients needed for good health.

    Fruits naturally contain fructose, and as Joy stated some fruits contain more fructose compared to others. With FODMAPs (i.e. fructose intolerance) its all about getting the balance between fructose and glucose and limiting the foods with a higher fructose: glucose ratio. Without knowing for sure what you are suffering from, it's hard to generalise dietary advice as everyone is very individual in their symptoms and tolerance with food intolerances/IBS.

    To find an Accredited Practising Dietitian near you, head to the Dietitians Association of Australias website ( 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices