Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What type of doctor should I go to diagnose if I have sleep apnea?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Dr Peter Solin

    Respiratory & Sleep Medicine Physician

    Dr Peter Solin is a highly trained authority in sleep disorders medicine and respiratory medicine, having graduated from Melbourne University in 1987 and undertaken specialist … View Profile

    In Australia and New Zealand, respiratory physicians which look after conditions such as asthma etc, also have training in sleep medicine, and would be your first port of call.

    Some physicians have considerably more training in sleep medicine. Most respiratory and sleep physicians would be fully capable of diagnosing and treating sleep apnoea.

    For sleep that involves issues such as insomnia, or restlessness, or the impact of other health issues such as heart disease, Parkinson's disease et cetera, then a respiratory and sleep physician with more substantial experience in sleep medicine would be preferable.

  • 4


    Dr David McIntosh

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    David McIntosh is an Australian trained ENT surgeon with international experience. His areas of interest are paediatrics, nose and sinus disease, and providing access to … View Profile

    The only way to diagnose sleep apnoea are: witnessed observations of another person and a sleep study. The sleep study is better as it is objective and also can quantitate how bad it is. Depending on what the cause is will determine the management, and ideally this is done by a team of specialists (sleep medicine, dental, and ENT). 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices