Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What type of specialist do I see if I have crepitus in the knee?

    My condition has deteriorated a lot in the past few months.

    I would like to see a specialist to examine and determine what exactly my bone density status is, how serious the crepitus in the knee is and what can be done going forward?

    I am desperate to get fit again but don't know what I can or can't do to manage the situation or even build stronger bones. I do not want to end up with double knee surgery like my mother who is now almost immobile and only able to walk very short distances. I just don't know which specialist would be the best to approach with my condition.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 4


    Graduated in 1997 from the Uni of Melbourne and have studied extensively the problem shoulder. Also have interests in knee, foot and ankle, and wrist … View Profile


    Crepitus itself is not a issue that you need to be concerned about.  If the crepitus is associated with pain or instablity at your knee then the crepitus is significant.

    Bone density can be assessed at many pharmacies.  If it is found to be low on their scan then a visit to your GP for a more accurate assessment would be necessary.

    As for what you can do for your knee, see a physiotherapist. We are trained to assess and manage any musculoskeletal knee problems.  A physiotherapist will be able to advise you on what the best exercise would be to strengthen your knees as well as your hips.

    Hydrotherapy is also a very useful option to allow you to strengthen your knee if weightbearing exercises are aggravating.  Again, a physiotherapist is able to demonstrate what you can do in a pool to strengthen your knees and help your pain.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices