Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is this anxiety?

    I'm feeling really overwhelmed, stressed, teary, impatient with my little ones & on edge. I'm married with two young children, living through a 2nd storey house renovation, studying a cert III online & working a couple days per week. Yes there's a lot going on & I thought I could handle it. But I feel the pressure of having to cope because I'm told that it's fine, nothing to worry about. I feel it would be best if I just went away for a while. When the kids are being demanding, whining, fighting etc, I find myself clench my teeth & feel my frustration start to bubble & boil away. I hate my temper & I need strategies or a workshop to be able to work through this stuff. Is this anxiety??
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    The best way to find out how best to help you with whatever is causing you distress right now - whether it is anxiety, depression or something else - is to have this assessed in more detail, perhaps with your GP and then a psychologist to start with. Your GP can assess whether you need help for anxiety or depression, and can offer medication if s/he thinks this is indicated. Your GP can also organise a referral to a psychologist who can asses this further, and help you with strategies to manage your temper and other strong feelings that you are having. Most of the costs for this are covered by Medicare. You may also consider counselling, that may help you to understand what is going on in your life that may be contributing to how you are feeling, and to identify either what changes you need to make, or give you the space to work through your feelings and find different perspectives. All the best.

  • 1


    Paula VG

    HealthShare Member

    Thankyou very much for your response Vivienne. I've been seeing a psychologist for a little while but that was mostly due to a relationship breakdown with my mum.  I have asked for strategies on how to help me better manage my temper but my psychologist (as lovely as she is) hasn't given me any strategies except for saying that what I'm feeling is normal of someone that has two young children and that I should cut myself some slack. Maybe back off to the GP I go!

  • 1


    I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    Perhaps it may be a good idea to share your concerns with your current psychologist, and ask her opinion about whether medication may be indicated as an extra support in addition to psychological intervention?  Psychologists are highly trained in offering strategies for managing stress, anger, anxiety etc. My guess is she has determined that assisting you to think differently about your situation (i.e. telling yourself that it is normal to feel the way that you do, given what is happening), is the best strategy for now. Ask her about her thinking re this and together perhaps you can review progress and whether this is the best approach for you at this time. All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices