Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

Get information from qualified health professionals on the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Where can one get tested for PoTs in Australia - Qld?

    Many tests and no answers, found PoTs site saw the symptoms and said "At last", would like to get tested.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I understand that the Austin Hospital (Victoria) has staff who know about postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. See .

    Perhaps you could contact them - they might be able to suggest somebody in Queensland who can help you.

  • 1


    Nathan Butler

    Exercise Physiologist

    Nathan Butler is an exercise physiologist and founder of the multi-disciplinary Active Health Clinic whom specialise in chronic health especially Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, orthostatic intolerance … View Profile

    As Simon mentioned the Austin Hospital has a great team and will be able to assist you. Some testing can be done by your GP and/or health professional using a blood pressure cuff.

    The diagnostic criteria state that if a persons blood pressure decreases by 20+ mmHg and/or heart rate increases by 30+ beats per minute with the following testing it is indicative of orthostatic intolerance / postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (OI/POTS).

    To test this lie in a horizontal position for 5 minutes and measure blood pressure (BP) and heart rate (HR), stand up and measure BP and HR again and then stand still for 5 minutes with <u>no figiting </u>and measure BP and HR. If you find this is positive as per the above criteria or can not complete the test it indicates OI/POTS.

    If you are unsure then a referral onto a cardiologist or neurologist for confirmation and/or a tilt table test would be able sort this out.

    Good luck

    Nathan Butler

    Active Health Clinic - 2014 ESSA Private Practice of the Year

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices