Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What is the cause of ongoing fatigue and multiplying symptoms? Who should I see?

    I had a mystery virus in 2000 which caused extreme fatigue, hair loss, bad acne, muscle pain ( lower legs) & constant thirst. I came good gradually over 3 years. A second & third bout of fatigue followed in 2006 & 2012. I get very dark rings under my eyes before each bout of fatigue and my immune system then seems to collapse. 12 months ago an alternative medical practitioner diagnosed me with a dairy allergy and gluten intolerance (causing IBS). I thought my health problems were fixed. However, now I have a fourth bout of fatigue. My ANA - homogenous is 640, albumin is 34, c-reac protein is 6, TSH is 0.28, free TS4 is 17.3 and TS3 is 4.1. My GP is recommending a referral to a rheumatologist. I am also being treated by a physio for hip pain due to muscle weakness. I have started experiencing swelling in my lower legs and feet. I am 45 years old. Is a rheumatologist a good suggestion and what else should I do to get to the bottom of what is going on?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I am not a clinical health professional but, from my knowledge of biomedical science:

    Your ANA titre is high - this may indicate systemic lupus erythematosus. A specialist rheumatologist would be a good person to investigate this.

    Your TSH, T3 and T4 levels seem to be outside normal ranges. There are many possible explanations for this, linked to thyroid gland function. A referral to a specialist endocrinologist might help here - s/he will be able to carry out further investigations and (depending) discuss treatment options with you.

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions