Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What causes heel pain when walking?

    I have flat feet and where orthotics but have recently begun to notice that when I am walking I am getting a pain running from the back of my heel to the sole of my foot. It aches when not using it but as soon as pressure is put on I get pains through the foot.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Osteopathy Australia is the peak body representing the interests of osteopaths, osteopathy as a profession and consumer's right to access osteopathic services. Osteopathy Australia represents … View Profile

    There can be a number of causes for heel pain.

    Here are some considerations:

    • How old are your orthotics and your walking shoes? If you walk regularly and it’s been longer than 18 months, it could pay to have your podiatrist reassess your orthotics, or consider upgrading your shoes.
    • Have you significantly changed your walking distance/pace/gradient recently? If so, consider a slow and steady change otherwise your muscles and ligaments may be overworked with the end result being pain and inflammation.
    • A common condition linked to heel and arch pan is called Plantar fasciitis. This can be a difficult (and very painful) condition to manage, and ideally requires a health care professional such as an osteopath to correctly identify this problem. They can then implement appropriate treatment and management protocols. For example, advice on icing, taping and stretching, and addressing mechanical issues in the spine or lower limb/s.

    Dr Chris Reeves, OSTEOPATH, B.Sc (Clin. Science), M.H.Sc (Osteopathy)

    Parkdale Osteopathic Clinic

    194A Como Pde West, Parkdale VIC 3195

    9580 1820

  • Dr Andrew Knox

    Podiatric Surgeon, Podiatrist (General)

    Dr. Andrew Knox is one of the most-highly qualified foot specialists in Australia, holding both a Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine and a Doctorate of Clinical … View Profile

    There are many possible causes for your pain. Best to book in to see a practitioner to have it assessed. It may require further imaging, such as ultrasound of MRI depending on the location and/or duration of symptomes.

  • Kirsty Woods

    Exercise Physiologist

    Hi I’m Kirsty Woods,I would like to use my experience, expertise and passion to help you reach your weight, energy and health goalsI have been … View Profile


    As mentioned above it may be a condition called plantar fasciitis ( or Achilles Tendonitis (

    Calf tightness is often a contributing factor - stretching and massage can help. You may also wish to try rocktape to help releive symptoms. There is vidoes for both conditions. ( All the best!

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices