Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I fix stooped posture?

    My father is 78, he is usually mentally and physically active with no other ailments.

    In the past 2 years he has developed a extreme stoop, is it possible to rectify this?

    If he walks for more than 15 minutes he experiences back, neck and shoulder pain so it is affecting his entire health and well-being. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

    He lives in the SE of Melbourne.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Dr Ryan Hislop


    Ryan Hislop is the Clinical Director at the Mudgee Chiropractic Health and Wellness Centre. As an experienced and evidence-based diagnostician, Ryan works largely by medical … View Profile

    Exercise and chiropractic care can help with posture and spinal related pain. They can tailor a program of care to assist people of all ages .

    I would recommend looking for a local chiropractor. You can go to the CAA website and search for someone in your area.

  • 2


    Located in Armadale and Doncaster, Dr Michael Black has an interest in childrens' health and pregnancy. He is passionate aout sharing the benefits of chiropractic … View Profile

    I agree with Dr Hislop that a chiropractic consultation may shine some light on why your father experiences such widespread pain after walking. It is not purely explained by his stooped posture and it is possible that he may gain some relief with chiropractic care despite the continued postural issue. 

    It is also essential that imaging is performed to see if osteoporosis has developed and this may help in understanding why the posture has deteriorated in recent times. His nutritional intake should be inspected.

    Water based exercise which is gentle and comfortable may give him the activity he needs without the pain experienced when walking. This exercise should supervised by a trained person such as a physiotherapist.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices