Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What is the best thing to help children with sound problems?

    My daughter is 6 and in year 1 she is having difficulty processing sounds correctly. She also snores and has a cough at night an in the morning. Nov 11 she had a perforated ear drum with heavy mucus build up, the year she has has 2 ear infection. Could this be adding to her inability to hear sounds in class?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    Dr David McIntosh

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    David McIntosh is an Australian trained ENT surgeon with international experience. His areas of interest are paediatrics, nose and sinus disease, and providing access to … View Profile

    With everything you are describing, the direct answer to your question is “yes” but the important answer to your concern is get her referred to an ENT ASAP. There are a few things wrong based on your brief summary and these need fixing sooner rather than later. 

  • 1


    Rachel Tosh

    Speech Pathologist

    Rachel is a speech pathologist specialising in speech, language, literacy and feeding therapy with more than 10 years of experience. Her aim is to help … View Profile

    I agree with David. Definitely get her referred to an ENT ASAP. Would also recommend getting referral to speech pathologist as they can help with advising the school and yourself in how best to support your child's listening skills.

  • Aimee York

    Occupational Therapist (OT)

    Aimee is a fully registered occupational therapist, with a special interest area in paediatrics and mental health. She is experienced in the assessment and intervention … View Profile

    I also agree that you should see a specialist as soon as possible. In terms of longer term approaches, seeing a Speech Path is also helpful, and perhaps an OT with specialist knowledge in auditory processing challenges.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices