Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who should I speak to about the psychotic episodes I've been having?

    I had a drug induced psychotic episode around a year ago where I was convinced to get to the next stage of life, I had to get out of this one so to solve this I ran into oncoming traffic and was hit by a car.

    I survived and eventually snapped back to reality but I haven't snapped all the way back. I still have weaker versions of these thoughts and I've also started to think that people I don't know, know me and know what I'm thinking. Sometimes I think I died that day and the reality I'm living in now isn't where I was before. I thought with time these thoughts would go away but they're being stubborn and I'm starting to think I need to find professional help.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Anonymous

    You probably do need to find professional help asap.
    You can start with your GP and ask for referral to a psychiatrist - or you can contact the local mental health team in your area your GP can access the team for you, or you can find them online depending on where you live.
    You haven't said how old you are, but if you're young ish (up to 25 yrs old) then you could access support through HeadSpace
    Needless to say, staying off any kind of recreational drugs/alcohol would be a very good move at this point in time. If you saw someone when you had your original psychotic episode after drugs that you have referred to above, then why not get back in touch with them?
    It is better to get this addressed asap rather than leave it - as you could be at risk of developing further symptoms.

  • Beulah Warren


    Beulah Warren is a registered Psychologist who has worked with infants and their parents for over 20 years, initially on research projects and later clinically. … View Profile

    I am assuming this means a medicated drug-induced psychosis. So the very first thing would be to speak to the person who had prescribed the medication. One would hope that you would have that discussion the moment you had that psychotic episode.
    If it was an illicit drug, then I would be certainly talking to the therapist. If you did not have one then I would be getting a referral to somebody to discuss what you had experienced and what drugs had been taken at the time. Try and find a specialist who has experience with drug and alcohol issues, or the psychiatrist that had referred you for the medication.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices