Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Where do I do allergy testing for plants?

    I want to be tested for specific plant allergies eg Silky Oak - where is the best place to go in Sydney? I have had all the usual tests in the past and always lots of allergy to birch etc but I need evidence to help get approval to get tree removed from my garden
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    I have been a paediatric registered nurse for over twenty years. I am trained asthma educator, early childhood nurse and currently work in the area … View Profile

    If you have a regular immunologist consult them and ask if you can bring a part of the plant with you to do skin price testing with.

  • 1


    Dr Alexander Lozynsky

    Allergy Specialist & Immunologist

    Consultant allergist and immunologist, with particular interest in allergic rhinitis and sinusitis, allergic respiratory disorders, food allergies and sensitivity and allergic skin conditions, including atopic … View Profile

    Yoy do not mention the nature of your allergy. Do you have allergic nasal or eye symptoms, asthma or skin problems such as urticaria (hives) or dermatitis? Pollen from trees tends to be larger in size than grass and weed pollens, so does not get carried as far as them. People who are sensitized to such pollen will usually develop allergic symptoms fairly soon after exposure. The nose and eyes are primarily affected, as well as the lungs in people who are prone to asthma.        

    Direct contact with the skin can cause an itchy, red raised rash which is urticaria or commonly called hives. This can also produce a delayed reaction resulting in dermatitis which is more dry, scaly and itchy. Contact with some plants, particularly certain types of grevillea can cause severe contact dermatitis that requires treatment with topical or oral corticosteroids.        

    Allergists can test for these types of allergy using prick skin tests for IgE-mediated type allergy and patch tests for delayed (T cell-mediated) allergy. So ask your GP for a referral to an allergy immunology specialist to help you.      

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices