Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do you find the right psychologist to treat a bipolar patient?

    Redlands Bay (QLD) area. My mum has just been released from another mental health facility and will soon be returning to her home. She requires ongoing treatment by a psychologist who understands and specialises in Bipolar Disorder. I would love to hear from any body with recommendations of great therapists who have experience in this field.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Joe Gubbay

    Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Psychologist, Psychotherapist

    I have worked in public hospitals as well as private practice over the past 25 years. As a clinical psychologist I treat depression, social anxiety, … View Profile

    The Australian Psychological Society's “Find a Psychologist” website lets you search for psychologists in your local area with expertise in specific conditions, including Bipolar Disorder:

    It might be a good idea to check with the facility where she was treated to see if they can recommend someone.  Your mum's GP or psychiatrist might also be able to recommend someone.  Keep in mind that Bipolar Disorder treatment will also generally include medication.

  • 1



    HealthShare Member

    Thanks Joe.  Mum is currenlty being treated in Sydney and has medication in place - lots of it!

    Unfortunately, none of her doctors here can recommend a psychologist in that area as they don't know any, but I will take a look at the site you recommended.

    Cheers, Meg

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices