Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I get a good night's sleep with hip pain from osteoporosis?

    I experience hip pain when I'm on one side and it's very difficult to have a peaceful night of rest
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Stephen Lee


    I'm a qualified Physiotherapist based and a Credentialled Mckenzie Therapist in Heidelberg and in Reservoir. I have an interest in most musculoskeletal and orthopaedic conditions. … View Profile

    I would suggest that you can find out the reason why the hips are sore when sleeping. Osteoporosis usually isn’t sore unless there is a fracture associated with it. You may want to look at your mattress. Does it need to be flipped? Does it need to be replaced?

    But there may be other reasons as well, which may include osteoarthritis of the hip or bursitis of the hip. It could be referred from the lumbar spine. So there are many other different reasons why you might be sore laying on that side. A physiotherapist should be able to assist your situation and give you some advice on perhaps your mattress or perhaps look at your hip and see whether there are some other aspects to address.

    Do you wake up with it? With osteoporosis it's more about the bone density which is low so if it is more osteoporosis, then perhaps a good exercise program with resistance strength training will be important to improve your bone density mass. Plus it might help with the pain in the long-term as well.

  • 1


    Dr Ryan Hislop


    Dr Ryan Hislop, Chiropractor is situated in Mudgee with the team from Chiropractic Health and Wellness Centre. He has a special interest in sports chiropractic … View Profile

    I agree with Stephen. Osteoporosis is usually a painless condition unless it results in a fracture.

    This type of presentation would warrant a closer look from your primary health care provider. A chirorpactor or physiotherapist would be a good point of call.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices