Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    I need help but don't know what to do

    Im so lost with everything, I know I need help. but just trying to express whats really going on in my head to a complete stranger face to face is soo hard. Nothing i do makes me happy, im always sad and find my self breaking out crying all the time. i hate everthing about my life and have lost interest in everything & am constantly angry and take it out on others. and i always think pepole are talking about me saying nasty stuff and i get my self so worked up about it, i also sometimes when im around alot of people i start to get shortness of breathe and get really nervous & dizzy… or if i hear some one laughing behind me i think they are laughing at me. i know im suffering from depression & anxiety but i dunno how to just express this all to a dr.. i would give anything to be happy.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 5


    Joe Gubbay

    Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Psychologist, Psychotherapist

    I have worked in public hospitals as well as private practice over the past 25 years. As a clinical psychologist I treat depression, social anxiety, … View Profile

    Yes it is hard to tell someone you don't know what's going on. But by the sound of things, what you're going through right now is much harder. The most difficult step is the first one - and you've already taken that. Try and work out what it is that makes it hard for you. If it's embarrassment, remember that the psychologist or counsellor is there to help you, not judge you. If you're worried you won't be able to explain what's going on, well that's half the reason you see someone - we help you to sort through what's going on. Our focus isn't to understand every single thing in your head; it's to help you live a happy life, and there are lots of ways to do that. It's also a valid choice to ask your GP for antidepressants, which are usually effective for depression. They might help with anxiety too, though if they don't, getting the depression under control will make it easier to tackle anxiety. 

    You've already reached out to people. Now have a discussion with your GP, who can help you decide on the next step, such as seeing a psychologist or trying an antidepressant. There are lots of options, and treatment has helped many people in similar difficult situations.  It's hard taking the first few steps, but it gets much easier.  

    I wish you the best.  

  • 1


    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    Writing as somebody who is in remission from depression, I generally agree with what Joe and Shannon have written - asking your GP to refer you to a psychologist is a great idea.

    I am less certain about asking your GP to prescribe an antidepressant. My preference would be to ask him/her to refer you to a psychiatrist. As a specialist, a psychiatrist will be able to do a detailed assessment of you and, depending on the results of that, discuss the option of medication with you.

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices