Conversation started by HelenB
Hi,
I was in a similar position last year before I went on anti-depressants. At first I was Totally against using these but it has stabilised me to the point that I can now work again! Not sure if you are on any but it takes a while for them to work ( you will feel worse before feeling better). My thoughts and prayers are with you. Do not despair - there is a whole community out there who have similar experiences!
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post. to your account or now (it's free).
Thanks
Psychologist
Hi Helen,
You're doing it tough by the sounds of it; I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure where you are in rural Queensland but my first piece of advice would be to connect with you GP. I know it's difficult when you have young children to find this time for you, but for their sake and yours, please try. Anti-depressants are not for everyone, but as the previous commenter noted, they can be extremely helpful and this is a conversation you can have with your GP - it doesn't have to be a long-term solution but sometimes they can help ‘lift’ you to a point where you can start to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
I would also ask your GP about a Mental Health Care Plan (let the receptionist know you'd like to book in a longer appointment so you've got time to discuss this with your doctor). If you're not familiar with them, a Mental Health Care Plan will let you access a psychologist/clinical psychologist for 6 sessions (potentially more) to discuss your depression and panic attacks. These are medicare-rebated (you get $83.25 back for each appointment). Perhaps you could ask another parent or a neighbour to look after your 4 year old while you attend appointments or schedule them fortnightly for when your husband is back in town.
I work with people with depression and panic attacks and I know how debilitating they can be - add in your social isolation and I know you are suffering at the moment. There is a light. Please contact your GP and get some advice about how to work through this?
All the best.
Carla
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post. to your account or now (it's free).
HealthShare Member
Hi Helen
Im Ally you are so not alone Hun , I too find life very hard , and feel very under valued.
I hate the anxiety I feel, shaking short of breath,and the list goes on. Then good old depression rears its ugly head and once again the battle begins, feeling sad and anxious and wait for it. A ways jumpy at the slightest of noises come to think of it I can't remember what it feels like in the real world . I really hope to hear from you Helen.
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post. to your account or now (it's free).
Thanks
HealthShare Member
I understand Helen, I suffer from anxiety & depression & sometimes I literally just lock myself in my home & can't imagine facing the world. My husband try's to understand but I know he doesn't & he too can work away for upto a month at a time, I find though he has become my security, I feel even worse when he is gone but I'm starting to worry I'm putting too much on him & I may soon scare him away. I did recently see a new doctor who has tried me on a new medication & so far I feel better than what I did, not 100% yet but better & I've started to try & work out more often, the struggle within means I don't do it as often as I should but I have noticed I do feel better when I do, even just purchase a few DVDs to do.
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post. to your account or now (it's free).