Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How should I change my lifestyle if I have enlarged prostate?

    I am a 58 year old male with enlarged prostate and experience pain during urination. Any advice on lifestyle changes/habits that could help with my condition?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 8


    Dr Tom Jarvis is a specialist urologist. He has international fellowship training in voiding dysfunction, pelvic floor reconstruction and female urology. He has special interests … View Profile

    If you have painful urination, you should see you local doctor for assessment. 

    Pain during urination ("dysuria") can be due to a number of conditions, and may not be realted to your enlarged prostate. The most common cause of painful urination is an urinary tract infection (UTI). Another common cause is a sexually transmitted infection. Other less common causes of painful urination include:

    • Stones in the urinary tract (bladder, ureters or kidney),
    • Interstitial cystitis,
    • Side effects from certain medications, supplements and treatments, and
    • Tumours of the urinary tract.

    The best lifestyle changes/habits advice for men with enlarged prostates are centred around maintaining a healthly lifestyle (good diet and regular exercise) and controlling any chronic health conditions (such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol). 

    Some men with enlarged prostates will develop urinary symptoms (frequent urination, getting up at night, slow stream, difficulty starting, dribbling, urgent urination, and occasionally leakage). If these start to bother you, you should visit your local doctor for assessment. Treatment options may include bladder training, medications or surgery. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices