Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What are hemorrhoids?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Dr Kenneth Wong

    Bariatric (Obesity) Surgeon, General Surgeon, Laparoscopic Surgeon

    Dr Ken Wong is a very experienced specialist surgeon focussing on keyhole surgery techniques for gallstones, bowel cancer, hernia and weight loss surgery. He graduated … View Profile

    Haemmorrhoids refer to blood vessels just underneath the skin at the anus. These blood vessels can get engorged over time due to pressure related from straining, hard stools or pregnancies. Older men straining to pass urine may also experience haemorrhoidal bleeding. Haemorrhoids can be either internal or external, but commonly, there is a combination of both. Often patients refer to anal skin tags as haemorrhoids but these are usually the residue of previously stretched haemorrhoids.

    The most common symptoms of haemorrhoids are bleeding, pain and the feeling of a lump in the anus.

    A surgeon should be seen if the above symptoms are noted.

    Ken Wong

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices