Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

Get information from qualified health professionals on the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can cystic fibrosis be prevented?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Amanda Deadman

    Social Worker

    As a Social Worker for Cystic Fibrosis NSW I am able to provide support, education and information for those who have been diagnosed with CF.I … View Profile

    Cystic fibrosis is a genetic condition so therefore cannot be prevented.

    Both parents must be carriers of the gene for a child to be born with CF. If both parents are carriers then there is a 25% (1 in 4) chance that the baby will be born with cystic fibrosis. There is a 50% chance that the baby will be a carrier of the gene and there will be a 25% chance that the baby will neither have CF and will not be a carrier of the gene.

    Genetic testing and counselling is available if you would like further information on the genes related to CF.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices