Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is IVF treatment for infertile women an option for becoming pregnant?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Women's Health Queensland Wide provides free health information for Queensland women. View Profile

    Yes. IVF is one of the options that doctors may use to help a women to become pregnant. It is, however, only one of many medical procedures that may be undertaken in order to help an infertile woman achieve pregnancy. Collectively, all the different procedures are known as Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART). As well as IVF (in vitro fertilisation) ART methods include ovulation induction, ICSI (intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection), intrauterine insemination, egg donation, GIFT (gamete intra-fallopian transfer), and MESA (microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration).

    For more information Queensland women can call the Health Information on 3839 9988 or 1800 017 676 (toll free outside Brisbane). Please note that all health information provided by Women’s Health Queensland Wide is subject to this disclaimer.

  • VARTA is a statutory authority based in Melbourne, Australia, providing independent, accurate information about fertility, infertility and assisted reproductive treatment (ART). View Profile

    Yes, in vitro fertilisation or IVF can be used to help a woman conceive. For more information about IVF and other kinds of assisted reproductive treatment, visit the Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) website There, you can download the brochure "What is assisted reproductive technology (ART)?', which will give you clear and accurate information about IVF and other kinds of treatment.

  • Iolanda Rodino

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    Iolanda Rodino is a specialist Clinical Psychologist with a first class Honours (B. Sc (Hons) and Masters degree in Clinical Psychology. These degrees were attained … View Profile

    Yes - IVF is one technique that can be used to help a woman and her partner conceive. You need a referral from a GP to a fertility specialsit who will complete an assessment and advise you of the treatment required. In Perth, this website can assist patients with finding a clinic and/or fertility specialist For patients Australia wide this website might help locating a fertility specialist in your State

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices