Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What bereavement services are available?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • The Compassionate Friends is a peer support organisation offering friendship and understanding to bereaved parents and siblings following the death of a son or daughter, … View Profile

    Grief and Bereavement Organisations

    These organisations can provide bereavement support:

    The Compassionate Friends (links to other states around Australia)

    Provide Peer Support following the death of a son or daughter at any age and from any cause. Education to health professionals and community.

    Telephone Freecall - 1800 641 091 or (03) 9888 4944

    Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement

    Bereavement Information and Referral Service - For the general public seeking assistance

    Telephone Toll Free - 1300 664 786

    Practitioner Consultancy Service - For those providing bereavement support

    Telephone Toll Free - 1300 858 113

    Support After Suicide

    Information and resources and we provide counselling and group support directly to those bereaved by suicide.

    Telephone: (03) 9427 9899

    Sids and Kids

    SIDS and Kids bereavement support services assist families who have experienced the sudden and unexpected death of a baby or child, during birth, pregnancy or infancy, regardless of the cause.

    Toll Free - 1300 308 307

    Immediate Help?
    Lifeline 13 11 14
    Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
    MensLine 1300 78 99 78

  • 1


    Bruce Jenkins

    Psychologist, Psychotherapist

    ABOUT BRUCE Registered psychologist since 1991 Broadly Humanistic approach with special interest in Person Centred therapy Over sixteen years experience as a supervisor Taught Counselling … View Profile

    The above list is a thorough guide to services. 

    I'd also like to point out that an experienced psychologist/counsellor should have experience and expertise in helping people travel through the grief process.

    In my practice I see a lot of people working through grief issues. Often around a death, certainly, but also about other losses: jobs, a health crisis, even moving house. If you decide to try counselling as a support for grief, ring the counsellor and have a chat before making an appointment. It really is fine to ask a practitioner what their experience is in an area such as grief and loss.

    Good wishes in finding what you need.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices