Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Knee pain after knee replacement and suffering stroke

    My 79 yr old husband suffered a stroke immediately after surgery for knee replacement. The operation itself was successful and he has recovered well from the stroke, however, he now suffers severe pain in the leg/knee of operation.

    Would a rheumatologist be able to help?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Mr Rhys Clark

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Mr Clark is a consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in the latest hip and knee replacement surgical techniques. He also specialises in complex revision surgery, … View Profile

    I'm sorry to hear about your husband that must have been a scary experience for you. 

    It is hard to know exactly where the pain is coming from. Your husband may have some pain from the effects of the stroke, or he may have pain from his knee replacement surgery. Even though the surgery went well it is still possible to get some pain after a knee replacement. 

    The best place to start would be to see the orthopaedic surgeon and ask them if they think the pain is coming from the knee. They may examine your husband and order further investigations. If the orthopaedic surgeon thinks the knee isn't the cause of his pain then the best bet would be to go and see your local GP who can further examine and potentially refer you onto the appropriate specialist if need be. I'm not sure how much help a rheumatologist is going to help at this stage (unless your GP advises that). 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices