Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Ingrown toenail surgery on 12 year old other

    Related Topic
    I have a 12 year old who has an ingrown toenail. It has been recommended by a GP to see a podiatrist to have a wedge resection with general anaesthetic, however, private health insurance doesn't cover a podiatrist doing surgery. Is there someone else in Perth that could be recommended to do the surgery? I don't know who to go to!
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Dr Simon Zilko

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Dr Simon Zilko - Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr Simon Zilko is a locally and internationally trained consultant orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in all … View Profile

    You would be best to see a specialist foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon. Unlike some other practitioners doing foot surgery, as medical practitioners all orthopaedic surgeons are eligible for both medicare rebates and private health rebates for surgical procedures. Foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeons have completed further sub-specialty training in all disorders of the foot & ankle. Many foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeons do not charge any gaps so you should be covered for all your daughter's treatment.

  • 2


    Dr Haydar Ozcan

    Podiatric Surgeon, Podiatrist (General)

    Dr Haydar Ozcan is a Podiatric Foot & Ankle Specialist Surgeon who also holds a Fellowship in Minimally Invasive (Key Hole) Foot Surgery from USA. … View Profile

    Ingrown toe nails are frequently treated by Podiatrists and Podiatric Surgeons. Wedge resection is fairly agressive procedure especially for a 12 yo. You may want to get a Podiatrist to look at doing a Phenolisation technique under local anaesthsia. This is what they do very frequently. You may be eligible for a rebate from medicare and private health insurance. Procedure can be done in a clinical settings. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices